Maths is all around and we use it constantly in everyday life. It is easy to make your child aware of maths concepts at home and during your daily routines. Here's some ideas...
Talking to your child about everyday activities and involving them in these activities is a great learning opportunity. Children learn by doing so the more you can talk to them about what is happening as they are doing it the more they will take it in. Here are a few things you can do at home to encourage you child to become familiar with maths concepts...
• Counting to 5/10/20
• Counting songs - 5 little speckled frogs, 5 little ducks,10 green bottles
• Forming groups – eg put 5 stones in a group
• Copying sequences/patterns with threading beads/teddies etc
• Shapes – English and Māori names
• Put things in order – big – small
• Recognising numbers 1-10
• Classifying objects – by colour/shape etc
• Measuring things
• Baking – measurements
• Threading beads
• Shapes in the environment